Almost 1000 Miles and I am Home




Finally, I am home. I rode HARD for two days and am now sitting in my easy chair typing you all the final blog of the trip. I AM HOME. My goal was to make it home by 8/30 and I decided by hell or high water that I would make it despite rain both days. I also logged a couple of extra states along the way.
Friday morning, as I awoke in Jonesboro, AR, only find the cover on my bike cover had been stolen. The cover has been with me for over two years, had been across the country the and wouldn't you know it was stolen in my former home town. Never the less, at 0700 I hit the road. I rode and rode through the boot heel of Missouri, hit Tennessee, and pulled into Kentucky before noon. Although I hit a patch or two of rain in S.E. Kentucky it was a good day. It was nice and cool until just outside Lexington where I had decided would be my night's destination. Saturday on the other hand, I awoke to patchy heavy fog, I hit W.V. about 10 a.m. and an hour later was in a driving thunderstorm. However, about an hour south of Clarksburg, WV the clouds cleared and it was on. I had decided that if I could dry out and the rain was not continuing over the mountains that I would plug on from their. As I approached Clarksburg it looked a little iffy but after I turned on US50 I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Therefore, I pushed over the mountains. I made it to Winchester by 1900 and home an hour and a half later. Almost 1000 miles in two days. That is a tough drive in a car. Believe me, I have done it. Add to it some thunderstorms and I am surprised myself. But, I did it and I am home. WOW.


So there you have it. 7 days out and just a few hours over 6 days back. Other than washing clothes and cleaning a nasty bike, the adventure is over. Until next year..........

No comments: